How to Ride
Step-by-step directions for using The Bus
The buses serve much of the Ketchikan Gateway Borough, including the City of Ketchikan and City of Saxman. Hours of operation vary seasonally, but the Silver Lines and Green Line generally offer once an hour service.
1. Arrive at the stop at least 5 minutes early. Wait on the sidewalk or in the shelter, where the operator can see you.
2. Be ready to board with exact change or a valid ticket, transfer receipt or pass.
3. As the bus approaches, check the sign above the front window to make sure it's the line and destination you want. Signal the operator that you wish to board.
4. Stay back from the curb and wait until the bus comes to a complete stop. If you need to use a boarding ramp or lift, just ask the operator.
5. Board and pay your fare. If you're standing, move toward the back so others can board.
6. Along the route, we'll announce the next major stops and intersections. If you're not familiar with the area, you can ask the operator to announce your destination.
7. When you want to get off, pull the bell cord to request the next stop.
8. Gather all your personal items and exit through the door.
For your safety
- Never cross the street in front of a bus unless it's stopped at a red light.
- Keep your kids close to make sure you don't get separated.
- If you see suspicious behavior or a suspicious package, or if there is an emergency or unsafe situation on board, tell the driver or call 9-1-1.
- Call 225-8726 (TRAN) for bus information.
- Riding at night? Wear light-colored clothing and wave your cell phone, flashlight or safety strobe to alert the operator as your bus approaches.
- Please be at the bus stop a minimum of 5 minutes before the scheduled arrival time.
- Bus delays are reported only when the buses are over 10 minutes behind schedule an no earlier.